Before my husband deployed, I knew I had to make a chicken pot pie for him. Not just any chicken pot pie though – his mom’s chicken pot pie. This is his favorite recipe, given to me by his mom, who I think got it from her mom or grandmother.
-1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast, cooked & cut into bite size pieces
-4 Pillsbury pie crusts (in a roll – these come 2 in a box, so you will need 2 boxes)
-4 large potatoes – peeled & cut into thin slices
-1 large sweet onion
-4 chicken bullion cubes, crushed
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 cup water
1. Line a greased 8×8 or 9×9 dish with one of the pie crusts. Add half of the chicken, potatoes, and onion on top.
2. Cut two pie crusts into dumpling-size pieces & make another layer. Add the rest of the chicken, potatoes, & onion, then cover with the rest of the “dumplings.”
3. Sprinkle with crushed bullion cubes & salt & pepper. Add water until covered (you may need more than 1/2 a cup.
4. Top with last pie crust & seal edges. Poke a few holes in top.
5. Cook about 1 hour @ 350 degrees F or until potatoes feel done. let sit about 10 minutes before serving.